Event details, what you need to know
22 March 2024
Berkeley Castle, Gloucestershire GL13 9PJ
Good to know:
Good to know
- BIG Sleepers must be over 14 years of age
- Young people (14-17 years old) are asked to raise a minimum of £150 sponsorship
- Dedicated, experienced support throughout the night
- You will receive a fundraising pack, a kit list and a sponsorship form
- If you reach £500 (£300 for a young person aged 14-18 yrs), you will receive a snazzy pair of socks
- You will be given a bivvy bag, refreshments and breakfast in the morning
- You will be funding our support pathway for vulnerable veterans, ensuring a safe home, training, and help with their mental well-being.
- Monies raised will benefit vulnerable veterans living in Alabaré Homes for Veterans in Bristol and Gloucestershire
No veteran should call the street a home. Too many Armed Forces veterans in Bristol and Gloucestershire are still sleeping rough or sofa surfing because they have hit a crisis in their civilian lives. Join us and make a stand against veteran homelessness.
What is involved: We are asking you to raise sponsorship and sleep out for one night, and in doing so stop veterans having no choice but to sleep rough every night.
You will join other participants and sleep outside for the night at this historic Gloucestershire venue. There will be an opportunity to hear from veterans who have benefitted from Alabaré’s help and to learn more about the support you are making possible. In the morning, you can return to your own warm home.
The venue: The beautiful old castle was finished in the late 12th Century by the first of the Berkeleys, one Robert Fitzharding, was gifted the castle by Henry II, the then Duke of Anjou.
Since that time, not much of Britain’s history has passed Berkeley Castle by.
How we help veterans: By providing a pathway of support, homes and training to meet the individual needs of each veteran in need of our help.
“To be able to support homeless veterans is hugely important to me. A huge thank you to everyone who is prepared to sleep rough at Berkeley Castle in March 2024.”
Charles Berkeley – Berkeley Castle Director
Everyone attending pledges to raise a minimum of £250 for our veteran work. Some will reach far higher sponsorship levels, so if you reach £500 (£300 for a young person aged 14-18years), you will receive a fabulous pair of snazzy socks!
Collectively we aim to raise at least £30,000.FAQ and Terms and Conditions
My CHILDREN have felt so helpless when it comes to life’s big issues, the environment, social injustice and care for the vulnerable……. Doing The Big Sleep has empowered them and helped them understand they can make a difference in their small way.
BIG Sleeper - Event Participant
Our sincere thanks go to Charles Berkeley for allowing us to bring our flagship sleep out event to this beautiful venue.
For Event, Schools, Groups, Media and Sponsorship enquiries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org